The Queen Charlotte stood on the corner of Towngate Street and the road known as Hunger Hill. It was built in 1801 and was at the end of a row of four houses named 'Union Buildings.' From 1874 until the 1950s it was a beer house owned by the Charlton Brewery Company of Shepton Mallet, and then became part of the George Brewery of Bristol’s estate. One of the rooms was used as an exchange by one of the private telephone companies in the early days of the establishment of the telephone system.
It was demolished in 1969 in order to make way for a new traffic roundabout at Hunger Hill.
Extract from ‘A Pint of Good Pale Ale, Poole's Inns, Taverns & Breweries’, by Andrew Hawkes